Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I whistle a happy tune

Welcome to my blog! I made it through my first 24 hours in Korea and I'm looking forward to settling in.

Here are my initial observations
1.  Lines mean nothing in Korea. (more on this later)
2.  Not as many people speak English as I was led to believe.
3.  Things happen when they happen in Korea. Making plans is not necessary or even advised.
4.  Kimchi is actually pretty good.

I came to Korea hoping to learn about the world, a different culture, and myself. In a society where education is so very important it is not surprising that Korea has already taught me something: Literacy is important.

After 14.5 hour flight from Chicago, I stepped off the airplane, was ushered into the cattle line of immigration, and released into a world Hangul, the Korea alphabet. I successfully figured out the change machine but the payphone had it in for me from the start. The phone and every sign around it was in Hangul. I couldn't even figure out how much is cost to place a call; there wasn't a number or Won symbol in sight. Finally after, 15 minutes of wrestling with the phone and only 5 minutes until my bus to Uijeonbu departed, I stumbled over to the info desk and babbled about how I couldn't figure out the phone and needed notify my ride that I'd be getting on the bus. The pretty Korean lady with very kind eyes dialed the number for me on her phone and encouraged me to “please, talk now”.

The language barrier is definitely going to be the biggest hurdle for me. It sounds stupid, but I never realized quite how much I read and communicate with others one a daily basis. I've been working on pronouncing, not reading, just pronouncing, “thank you” (gamsahamnida) for the past four hours. I'm almost offended by my own ignorance.

This is what I feel like:


This experience makes me feel guilty for never volunteering at the literacy network. It is one of the things I'm going to do when I get back home. Just teaching someone read the bus stop sign or to say “Can you help me, please?” could lift a mountain of stress off their shoulders.

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by. Please check back as I'll be updating the about section, the blog roll, and also probably changing the layout to make it more photo friendly. Wish me luck in my reading and speaking adventures.

11 comments:

Nina M. Giannangeli said...

I felt all four of those things in England (except the kimchi, but maybe we can substitute British food as a whole...)--even the language thing, and their main language IS English. So I am sure it is even more consuming in Korea.

I like the idea about volunteering with the literacy network! Maybe I will join you?

Keep trying with the language...and the kimchi! You'll do great.

Willa said...

I like the blog! and am glad you are loving kimchi. it´s totes healthy and fucking delicious. also, i totally understand what you mean about language difficulties. going to portugal and assuming they speak spanish (they´re better at english, surprisingly) was kind of a shock to me... but when they spoke neither english nor spanish, it was really difficult. i am proud that you are acknowledging your weaknesses and OVERCOMING HURDLES EVERY DAY! (fist pump)

Unknown said...

Very Happy to see you made it there safe and sound. Love the blog thing but had trouble getting to the site. Not sure why the links that your mom reposted did not work?? I have a few request for you. Can you get you GPS coordinates, address(school and home),any phone numbers (school and home) and post them. You know it's the dad in me wanting to know where you are. How is the shopping experience there ? what is the exchange rate? Are there a lot of open markets ? Do you have a computer in your apartment ?

Unknown said...

Daniel would like me to post for him. So I will try to quote him verbatim.

Daniel says

"How is your day ? You should have fun there. Aunt Sarah knows that her family loves her and Daniel too. I am cut off with the piñata thing and I love you"

Robert is at school today more to come.

Unknown said...

When I did a google Map of your city this is what I got .

Uijeongbu-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea

Is that right?

Josh said...

Wow, that sounds like a pretty intense experience. Still, I know how you get passionate about personal development, and I'm sure you'll pick up the language in no time. Best of luck out there.

Kimi said...

Fantstic first post. I am looking forward to reading more about your stay there and seeing lots and lots of photos! Hugs to ya - Mrs. Boykin

Unknown said...

Hi Sara, I love your blog. I will re-visit to see how you are doing..Your uncle David says hello...Be safe!

~Aunt Michelle and Uncle David~

Unknown said...

O.K..Sara, so Josh in boxed me and lets me know that this is not his sister Sara but a dear friend..so no you are not crazy, you do not have a aunt Michelle or uncle David..disregard that part of the message, however, still stay safe :) and take care.
~Michelle Boykin~

Sarah said...

Everyone- Thanks for the encouragement!

Stevie- Uijeongbu-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea is where I am. I'll work on the GPS coordinates. It may take me a while though. I'm still working on what my address is. It's not as clear cut as you would think. Tell Daniel and Robert that I love them both too, and tell Daniel that he made me laugh.

Unknown said...

Ditto Nina on the stress, even in an English-speaking country (Ireland in my case). Sounds like you've been working hard to learn; I'm sure you'll find the water quickly ;-)

Post a Comment