Let's move on to a lighter topic. In response to the many inquires about my apartment, I've put together a little photo tour of my place. Enjoy!
This is my street. I know it kind of looks like the ghetto but it's not. This is just how cities look here. They're cramped and dirty. I actually live very near the shopping district and city hall. |
Looking the other way down the street. |
The front door. Those characters sound like "Jager House," which I'm sure Paul Davidsaver will appreciate. |
I think this is my address. I say think because things are not always as they seem in Korea. |
In the summer we're going to have parties on the roof. |
| Go up the stairs to get my my apartment go to your right to get to my friend Lina's apartment. |
Tinnie-tiny little mailboxes. WAY smaller than a bread box. |
That's my door! |
There is microwave on each floor. Yay! I don't have to buy one. |
You know how I always run around with a gob of keys in the U.S.? Not here. I don't have even a single key. Everything has a key pad on it. |
This is my super-duper automatic lock that locks me into my apartment every time I close the door. My Dad would like this baby. He might even throw away the Fisher Price alarm. |
This is a shot from the door way. |
To the right is the bathroom. Complete with stall-free shower. |
My closet. (Near the window) |
I need more hangers. |
The "view". |
Looking back from the window. Note the drying rack. There are no dyers in Korea. When the culture shock starts this is probably going to be my first complaint. I dislike stiff and wrinkled clothes. |
And this one burner stove (sans oven) my second. |
Kitchen and desk area. |
This one is for Gram. I have food, see? |
| <3 |
I apparently like my house to be between 24 and 26 degrees Celsius. |
Let me know how you like the place. Tomorrow I should get lots of blog material. In the morning I'm having my entry health exam and then we're going on a field trip to Seoul!
That's all folk's.
9 comments:
Aww, you're going to be such a little minimalista soon! Regardless, your "kitchen" is a joke. I regret ever complaining about mine to you. One burner?!?
TIP ON DRYING ISSUE:
Get some fish wire, thin rope, some kind of cable, etc. Secure the ends high up with nails, from one wall to the next furthest wall. Toss clothes over line and/or use clothes pins.
I've been doing this at my place & as long as it's high enough, it's out of your way.
XO
Glad to hear you're safe. My parents and I were concerned about this at dinner the other night. I will be sure to tell them you have a game plan.
I love your apartment! I am assuming you get it to yourself? That's kind of nice...then again I've only ever had one roomate I've liked whereas I know you've had at least two roomates that you were a fan of.
I have to agree with Zahra about the stove, but creative cooks such as yourself can probably make it work. Mario Batali makes it work every time he goes on Jay Leno or whatever.
Enjoy Seoul! Have you had Korean style beef with the fried egg yet? I tried to make it once, and failed. I probably just need to order the real thing someday!
South Korea has to import almost all of their natural gas, maybe that helped cause dryers and ovens to not be part of a standard apartment
1) what kind of snacks do you have?
2) i like the pictures ^____^
3) miss you, love you! even though it's small, and yes, there's only one burner (even i'd be really sad about that), it's cute and cuddly! (like a tiny bear)
.....
love you! please keep up the updates!!
I'm glad to hear that you're safe and acclimating well. The place looks small, yet homey!
I've no idea of anything that has to do with Celcius, but 26 is a nice number.
Nina- Yes, the apartment is all mine. There's absolutely no room for another person in here. Some of the other teachers live in the same building though.
I haven't tried the beef with egg. I've been pretty adventurous so far, but I'm still not ready for raw meat.
Jimmy- That's probably true but it doesn't make me any less disgruntled. Also, glad to hear from you. It's been a long time!
Willa- My snacks aren't very good. I have some weird potato thin things and knock off Koala Yummies (they not very yummy.) As soon as I find the good snacks I'll ship you some. <3
Could you please post your address when you
Get it translated . ( gps location also would be good)
Josh: 26c is about 78f or 300k nice and warm :)
The apartment looks really nice . It may be small
But it's all yours. If you can post pics of the local
Area that would be great. I like the push button super
Lock on you door Dad would also have like that... No fisher-price
Alarm needed there.
Ok the shower thing ??? Drain is in the floor ??
If that is the case your doning showering and
Cleaning at the same time.. Nice
Stevie, I'm not going to post my exact address. Security issues, you know. I'll e-mail you though. I'm having trouble getting google earth to work on my computer. I keep getting error messages. I may need you to walk me through it one day.
I'm hoping to do some exploring in Uijeongbu this weekend and post some pictures then.
Also, I think my apartment's thermostat is off because 78 degrees is nowhere near comfortable for me. 68 to 71 is my happy temperature.
Post a Comment