Sunday, December 19, 2010

Taking a Taxi.

I apologize for my recent absence here on Korea, etc, etc, etc. I've been busy learning how to be a good teacher, through trial and error, as well as having a lot of budget friendly fun.

Last night my teacher friends and I went to a club in Gangnam, a district in Seoul. My friend has some friends in Korea who also happen to be club promoters, and she was kind enough to get us on the guest list to a club that otherwise charges a 30,000 won cover (about $26).

We took a taxi straight from work to be able to make it in time and, of course, rode in a taxi home. The taxi to the club was the priciest of the two at 50,000 won ($43) for ride that took a little over 30 minutes. Coming back it was only 26,000 won ($23). Split between four people that is pretty darn cheap. In comparison, I recently saw a taxi that advertised Schaumburg to the Loop, approximately the same distance one way, at $90. That means we paid less for double the distance. This price cut is in a country with a much smaller supply of fuel that is sold at a far greater price. Also, there is no tipping in Korea. I'm surprised that the drivers are able to make a living.

I've ridden in a taxi probably 10 times since I've been to Korea because it is so affordable. Sometimes it's even cheaper than taking the bus. Every time I take a taxi I feel a little bit fabulous and like I'm on Sex and the City. Prior to the past month, I'd only ridden in a taxi twice both on someone else's dime. In my mind the only people who take taxis are wealthy city-dwellers or those who's business is picking up the tab. In this small way, Korea has allowed me a convenience I could never afford at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Covers suck

2. Brilliant observations! :) Oh the things we take for granted. Way to fit four people in a cab! :)

3. I feel the same way about cabs. If you called a taxi a cab in Korea, would they know what you mean? :)

Your proud cuz,
Elena

Sarah said...

Haha, thanks! I don't think "cab" would be recognizable to Koreans who haven't spent time in the States.

Post a Comment