Friday, December 3, 2010

A new definition for egg drop soup

I had the most amazing meal tonight.


The first bowl you get (after the side dishes in the middle of the table, of course.) is a piping hot stone bowl filled with rice, which you are to promptly scoop out into a little bowl to make way for broth. The rice that sticks to the stone bowl and the broth mix together to make a nutty, earthy, and slightly burned tasting soup. It's not something I would crave but it's mildly addictive once you start eating it.

The center bowl is the main event. It's a spicy stew filled with thin sliced beef, super silky tofu, and veggies. Here's where it gets interesting. Every table has a basket of eggs on it for you to break into your bubbling hot stew. The heat from the liquid cooks the egg in the bowl in a minute. On the right, you see my eggshell from the egg I dropped into my stew. If you look closly at the center of the stew you can see the yolk.

My co-workers thought I was silly/cute for being so blown away, but I've never broken an egg into my food at the table before. Have you?

This was possibly the most delicious meal I have eaten in Korea so far. I don't remember what the restaurant is called, but I do know how to get there and I will be going back. If you visit, this life-changing chow is a must.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you are enjoying the local quesine . Now all you have
To do is learn how to make some of the best foods you have over
There and cook them for us when you get back home.... :)

Sarah said...

I plan on learning as many recipes as I can. Get ready for some Korean food when I get back to the US!

Nina M. Giannangeli said...

Women's Health magazine suggested breaking eggs into soup for some protein and omega 3 intake. I haven't tried it yet myself, but this blog post has convinced me. :)

Glad you are continuing to enjoy!

SirCallan said...

No eggs when you cook for me please :)

Anonymous said...

I learned this trick from my host brother in Thailand too. I was equally as shocked.

Next time you make raman, drop an egg in. Delicious.

Post a Comment