Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Between a rock and a hard place

Things are not going well at work.  The kids are great, I love teaching, but the management is a little shady. We, the other native English-speaking teachers and I, have a growing list of grievances that are really very reasonable even for a bunch of self-entitled Americans. I'll skip over the lesser offenses and share the main problems with you.


Why we grumble
  • December 31st was pay day. We each received less than half of our December salary. 
  • We have not moved to our new campus. As a result, we work from the tables at the back of the seminar room, without computers or other supplies. 
  • The management doesn't think it is necessary to tell us ANYTHING.
We demanded a meeting with the principal for today to discuss our concerns. After an exhausting series of translations, we were offered reasonable explanations and assurance that we will be paid and our jobs are secure at least for this term. However, my cohort's problems are not exactly solved. We have promises from a source that has given us trust issues. 

I know you're all wondering why I don't just get another job at one of the many of Hagwons in Korea seeking English teachers. Here's why. If we are laid off or quit, we lose our job and our right to be in the country. Thanks to the new E-2 visa laws, effective starting this month, I cannot just get a new job. I first have to get a FBI background check, a several month process that comes with a lovely fee. Then I have to go through a bunch of paper work to get my visa's sponsorship switched. By the time my new visa is processed, I'll likely run out of cash or be deported. 

Obviously, not getting paid is the critical issue, but I'm mostly irked by the fact that the no matter how many questions I ask I never get an answer. The lines of communication are about a clear as a phone call from an AT&T cell phone at the corner of Spring Creek St. and Alpine Rd. During the meeting, I tried to impress upon the principal that many of us have invested ourselves financially and emotionally in this venture and to keep us in the dark is not acceptable. I sense that the management has been thinking of us as just "some American teachers" rather than real people. I keep getting the urge to dramatically yell out, "We're people too!" We all have bills and other responsibilities, and do not really have anything to go back to in the States. There is not a whole lot of opportunity for recent graduates in the U.S. right now. That's part of the reason we're in Korea. 

Yesterday, I was about 80% sure would have to cut my Korean adventure short by 10 months. Today, things are looking much better, but I'm still nervous. January 14th is the day that will decide my fate. I have a plan for whatever happens.  Not a good plan but a plan. I really hope things will work out and going home is still a last resort. The looks of disappointment and "I told you so" are sure to silently beat me into depression if I am forced to go home. However, if you see me in the Midwest before the thaw don't be outrageously surprised. 

I have shared my sad story. Now you're up.  Have you ever put all your eggs in one basket and then had some fat guy sit on it? What did you do and how did you rebound? I appreciate any comments of support, advice, or Youtube videos that will make me smile.

11 comments:

Nina M. Giannangeli said...

Aw, man. Sarah, I'm so sorry. I hope things improve very soon. As much as I say to my whiny classmates at EC that we need to start learning to deal with political and administrative crap if we are going to get through our first years of teaching, I still believe that administrators ought to tell you something...at least about being PAID. It's hard for the students to learn if their own teachers don't feel comfortable about their own welfare. I wish you guys had some sort of "representative" who could advocate for you! Could the recruitment program do something like that? I don't know the ins and outs of your program, but I would hope that they have someone like that for you.
As far as not having supplies, I'm sure you guys will come up with some creative ways to create learning opportunities for your kids no matter what...though I hope it isn't too uncomfortable.
I can't say that I've ever had as a difficult an experience. I felt a similar type of panic when the state of Illinois mandated that student teachers have 80 hours of participation hours rather than 20 after taking the majority of classes that offered those kinds of hours. I guess I just had to work really hard to make up the 80 hours. Like I said...not at all in the same ballpark of severity... But, it certainly had the eggs-being-crushed-in-one-basket feel I guess.
Seriously, good luck. Let the Giannangeli Family know if we can do anything to help.

Zahra said...

The proverbial fat guy needs to get it together ASAP.

YouTube advice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U

I love you and I know everything will be okay. Your job's not in jeopardy and that's the most important thing. Plus, there's no way they could not pay you AND 15 other people. Their whole program would crumble and have a horrible reputation. With that said, if you did come home, nobody would ever say "I told you so"!

Nina M. Giannangeli said...

Have always loved Zahra and her logic. :)

bspruce said...

Oh Sarah, no one would say I told you so, ahh...well....maybe....actually, I don't know for sure....

But, (yes, I know better than to start a sentence with a "but") you know we all love you and have only concern for your health, safety and happiness in mind. So, I believe whatever you decide, or happens, we will still love you! :)

Love
Aunt Jan

BrighteyedGirl said...

Seriously Sarah, we would never say that! It took a lot of courage to go 8 zillion miles away to a different country. You should be proud of yourself no matter what. You definitely took a big risk and most people can't even say they've done that. Also, if you did come home, we could all go visit Aaron and demand this for breakfast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDv9pgHp8Q
-Ellen

BrighteyedGirl said...

And apparently I do have a google account and I picked the worst name ever.

Zahra said...

1. Haha at Ellen's google account name.
2. Hahaha at that video, especially the little bird noises.
3. Hahahha at imagining Aaron's face while watching that video.
4. I hope you weren't planning on putting this blog on your professional resume, Sarah. We just sort of took over.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

First, "I told you so's" don't count in this situation. You've already faced your challenge and succeed. By getting on the plane, landing in Korea, and coping with the myriad of problems that alone entails, you've learned more about yourself and a new culture. Both of which were your goals.

Second, from experience, not a lot falls into place neatly in another country. Multiple plans are always good.

Third, I understand the frustration of not being talked to as a person. To this day, I think the Thai rotary club saw me more as a show pony than a person. Something to be trotted out and displayed, but not spoken to. I was talked at, but never made to understand WHY I was being told no ( I didn't much care when the answer was yes).

I'm trying to think of an egg story for you, and while I'm sure there is one, it not coming to me. I don't think that there was more that I could have done than what you've already laid out. You've approached the authorities, devised plans, and asked for help.

Sarah said...

Thank you for the love and suggestions everyone. I really hope things turn out well but reassurance will make coming home easier if I must.

Nina- Thanks for the eggs story. That sucks but I'm glad you made it through!

Zahra- The video you posted is restricted. :(
Also, the whole blog for my resume idea flew the coop awhile ago. This one's just for kicks and giggles.

Ellen- HAHAHA at your name. A. Hill is definitely making us the breakfast at some point. He owes us for the Cheerios incident.

Unknown said...

Sarah,

I hope things get better for you. Hopefully the management will get their act together, pay you, and then you can love your job and all of the annoying kiddies to the fullest! Stay strong... love you! <3 a.

-Your chicago, cold-weather hating, scarf-loving friend

Sarah said...

Thanks, Ally. I miss you mucho. Can we Skype soon please?

Post a Comment