That's right; I climbed a mountain!
Mt. Munsu (먼수산) is a very small mountain but let's not quibble over a few kilometers. It was a really cool experience. I fluttered between feeling completely exhilarated and completely miserable the entire way up. The view and feeling of accomplishment were totally worth the pain and sweat though. I'm now on a mountain climbing kick. I hope to conquer a few of the other peaks in the area before the unbearable heat of summer descends.
(Click on the images to make them bigger.)
| Photo credit/ Jeff Colonel There's this little village at the base of 먼수산 that has small farms, oddly modern houses, and a nice restaurant where I used the bathroom twice. |
| Photo credit/ Jeff Colonel |
| Photo credit/ Jeff Colonel A peek inside one of the many greenhouses that dot the Korean countryside. |
| Photo credit/ Jeff Colonel About 2/3 of the way to the summit. |
| Photo credit/ Jeff Colonel These beautiful lanterns hanging at a temple near the top of the mountain were to celebrate Budda's birthday. |
| Photo credit/ Fawn Waygooks at the top. |
| Photo credit/ Jeff Colonel Hanging out in the bamboo forest on the descent. |
More on my other late-April/ early-May adventures soon!
Also, I'm stealing this idea from another American blogger in Korea. I'm going to start ending my posts with a Korean language footnote. You followers will pick up Korean in no time! I'll give you the English translation followed by the Korean word and then a simple pronunciation guide.
______________________________________________________________
Korean vocab: Mountain/산 /SAN
2 comments:
Congrats! Mountains are awesome, and you are awesome for climbing one.
I tried looking up the height of Mt. Munsu on the Internet, and everybody seems to have a different height ranging from 600 m to about 1200 m. In any case, it is much taller than the 233 m David and I hiked up Mount Royal in Montreal. We were EXHAUSTED just from that.
Post a Comment